Tuesday 19 February 2013

A minor/Big Change

I guess I am too late to say it's a new year, but I will mention how the end of 2012 and the beginning of 2013 was stressful for me. I was not sure what I was gonna do this year and everything just looked blurry. I prayed, lost hope, prayed some more, tried everything else I  I could use to see how my life would be and to prevent it from being bad. It's not easy to leave university and establish an new path especially if you have not planned for it.

My worries and attempts were put to rest when I got acceptance for a postgraduate degree. Now my life developed a twist, this is post-apartheid South Africa. Now I am even more convinced that the segregation was really bad. Can you guess where I moved to? Stellenbosch! The atmosphere here is completely different, the segregation results are still here. It is very clear where the black people, the white and the colored live and finding a place is quite hard in the suburbs when you are my race, unless you go through an agent who might just speak in Afrikaans with her colleague about her doubts that you may not afford the place. How can I blame her when it is so clear where who stays and when the complex that I am moving into is 99% white and only the security guard is of my  race.

Its quite challenging for me to stay in a place like this, even in the university I am an extreme minority. I have two good supervisors for my MSc and that makes me happy, I could not have got such good support from my beloved and horribly missed former university. I am making new friends slowly, the ones I have made seem not to fit into my pockets, I think if I invite them to my flat, they will wait till I call to tell me that they won't make it, and yes I have been through that a lot this year already.

It is very clear that growing up is a milestone, you realise new things and how to only trust your own. I learnt that good friends are really hard to find, and the people that I sometimes take for granted are the ones that can actually  bend backward for me.Some people are really here for the taking, if you don't give what they want they move to where they can get what they want. So at the end its not a loss. It is just a mismatch of interests.

The good thing is I am more knowledgeable and stronger than I was before. Better days will follow as long as I stick to my new path. To a great time in Stellenbosch! A great miss to Cape Town:(


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come you never mentioned how supportive I was during all that hardship you were going through?

Missy R said...

Hmm, sometimes the sadness is too much it clouds everything else. Be sure i do appreciate your support.